Friday, August 26, 2011

One Crazy Night...

Miles, Chris, and I had a very eventful night on Tuesday night. I came home from work and my wonderful husband cooked us spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, one of my preggo favorites. After dinner we cleaned up, I called my brother, and we watched tv for awhile.

Around 9PM I started to feel nauseated, and by 9:10 I broke out in a cold sweat and had never,ever been more sick in my life! It was just the fastest, wildest thing! After getting sick I was still a bit crampy (which is not a good sign at this point in our journey) so Chris called the emergency number for our doctor. He explained my symptoms to the on call doctor, and the doctor told us to go to the hospital and get checked out. Well I've only been to a hospital (for me that is) once in 7th grade for stitches. I've been preparing for our stay during labor and delivery, but I'll be honest and say I did not want to go. Chris looked at me and said "This is no longer about you." Best motivational advice ever, and away we went.

We are having Miles at Texas Health of Plano (formerly known as Presby Plano). As many of you know, I'm a planner. But since we didn't plan for anything like this to happen, I'll be honest again and say we panicked and went to the closest hospital to us, Baylor Carrollton (formerly Trinity Medical).

We were wheeled up to labor and delivery right away, and the nurse that was taking care of us couldn't understand why we went to that hospital. Um, because we've never done this before and we were totally freaked out :) I think we all thought we'd just do a typical check-up (I thought we'd do a sonogram but we didn't) and be sent home. They hooked me up to a fetal monitor and a uterine contraction monitor. As soon as our nurse started checking some things, it got just a bit more serious. Miles was doing fantastic, his heartbeat stayed in his normal 155-160 range (Chris was monitoring this like a hawk). Because I got so sick, I got dehydrated, which caused contractions about two minutes apart. They checked and my cervix was completely closed, another wonderful sign. They hooked me up to an IV and we received a bag of IV fluid(very quickly, within 15 minutes) hoping this would stop the contractions. They persisted, so we received another 1/2 bag of IV fluid(this time really, really slow) and a shot of terbutaline (medicine to stop contractions). Within 10 minutes the contractions stopped and they monitored us for another hour with no contractions (YAY!) and then we were released. We got home about 2:45AM and we were both asleep by 3AM. All in all, quite an eventful Tuesday.

The blessing in all of this is that we received confirmation that Miles is doing just perfect :) We just need him to hang out a couple more weeks in there! I'll also mention that at no time was the nurse concerned about us going into actual labor and Miles joining us in the outside world. Chris asked as soon as we got there "Is it time to call the parents?" and the nurse said "No, definitely not." We've received a ton of support from both of our families and they would have been there in a second if we'd have called them. We just didn't want to wake anyone up in the middle of the night because I was dehydrated :)

I do want to take a moment and say how incredibly sweet, caring, strong, and calm Chris was. He was so wonderful, it could not have been easy going through all of that. I would dose off here and there but he was wide awake the whole time (watching the baby monitor and me). We are so incredibly blessed to have such a wonderful husband and father in our lives.

One last positive, we received our very own baby heart rate monitor band, uterine contraction monitor band, and blood pressure cuff so our insurance won't be billed twice! Yay, thank you Baylor Carrollton and Angi from Labor and Delivery :)

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh Jill, I just read this. I am so glad you guys went in. And I'm really glad that everything was okay with your little one. I will keep you all in my prayers these next few weeks.

Kristin Boyd said...

Oh, my goodness, just read this! I am so glad that you are ok. Praying for the next weeks as you are getting closer to welcoming baby Miles into the World. I am so excited!