Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Quick naming(or lack thereof) update

As you can tell from the weekly pics, we're having a hard time with names. We've opened the playing field back up and here are the front runners:


Miles
Finn
Asher
Kai


My favorite is now Miles :)


Last weekend we went to Baby CPR class and we learned some really good things(all of which I can't remember now of course). Here are the ones I remember:


1) Never shake a baby(this was in all caps).
2) No more using baby powder when changing diapers.
3) No lotion until after 6 months, baby will have dry skin either way.
4) I am not good at baby CPR, thank goodness Chris is. I was called out by all three nurses independently and called out by name one time. We were practicing on dolls but this is taken very seriously(as it should be).
5) Most of the dads in the class were better at swadling the babies than the moms(me included!).
6) After the baby is born, people who come over to the house and stay longer than 20 minutes are no longer considered "visitors", they are considered "helpers". You are supposed to put them to work(cleaning, vaccuuming, etc.) - not so sure about this one but it did crack me up. The lady had 5 kids and she was super serious about this one.
7) Babies can get a 3rd degree sunburn from being out in the sun for just 15 minutes. No sunscreen until after 6 months.
8) The average newborn needs to eat 8-12 times in a 24 hour period for the first few weeks. Y'all do the sleep math on this one, not great.
9) There were a lot of older couples in the classroom, proof that people are waiting until later in life to have childen.
10) 75% of a baby's weight is in it's head. That's why it falls over and out of the crib once it figures out to lead with it's head(I think you have to see the reenactment that goes along with this one to fully appreciate this stat.
11) We did learn Baby CPR and what to do if a baby is choking. Just re-read my list and thought to myself, it reads as if you didn't actually learn baby CPR :)


I haven't been sleeping much, I wake up around 4AM and can't go back to sleep. I am getting a lot of good baby bonding time and reading in. I felt him stretch the other day and it was so cute(I'm assuming it was stretching since I felt him on the top right and bottom left side at the same time). He will most likely start getting hiccups this week, this really cracked me up :) I've been eating healthier and keeping a food journal to try and cut down on sweets. I "feel" like I'm doing a better job, ha! We go back to the doctor on August 9th to do the glucose test, so we'll see how weigh in and sugar levels go.


We received our first registry gift from my Aunt Connie and Uncle Bob! I haven't opened them yet, I'm waiting until this weekend but it's one really big box and one small box. The cool thing about this is that they gave us our first wedding present as well, so it meant a lot to me that they were our first baby registry gift as well :)

3 comments:

Ken said...

Hmmn..#6, I can go through your pantry and see what food is about to expire and eat it. That can be my "chore" :)

jillian80 said...

Fantastic! I love it!!! :)

elaine said...

Leave it to good ol' Aunt Connie!